Bad breath, or halitosis, is mainly caused by the build-up of bacteria in the mouth, which produces a foul smell. Bad breath can be embarrassing, but fortunately once you have identified the causes, you can begin treatment.
Chronic bad breath is a serious issue. Not only is chronic bad breath unpleasant in interpersonal contacts but it can also be a symptom of a serious oral care issue. Read on to find out how to prevent and eliminate bad breath.
If you notice that despite regular oral hygiene, you can't cope with bad breath, inform your dentist and surely he will recommend an appropriate treatment against chronic bad breath. It is also known that chronic bad breath occurs in case of dried mouth as salivary secretion controlling the oral micro-flora is reduced. Saliva helps to clean and moisturise the mouth. Bad breath, known as "morning breath", usually occurs after sleeping.
Bad breath can also be caused by some medicines. Among other reasons there as chronic lung infections, kidney and liver disorders and diabetes.
The accumulation of bad breath bacteria most often comes from a lack of a complete oral care routine resulting in a build-up of plaque bacteria around the gum line and back of tongue. Other causes of bad breath include dietary choices, a build-up of bacteria while sleeping, stress, and dehydration.
On rare occasions, bad breath can be a sign of a more serious medical condition so it’s important not to ignore the problem and to see a dental professional if the problem persists. By following a proper oral care routine you can help improve your bad breath.
How to cure bad breath?
Brush. Floss. Rinse. It sounds pretty simple, yet it’s the best routine to help you win the battle against bad breath. These easy steps will help you get the most from your dental health routine:
- Brush your teeth for two minutes twice a day to remove plaque bacteria. Follow up with a good tongue brushing. Pay special attention to the back of your tongue, where most odour causing bacteria are found.
- Floss effectively to help remove food particles. If reaching back teeth is difficult, a floss holder can help prevent food particles from becoming trapped as well as the build-up of plaque.
- Round out your routine with a mouthwash that fights bad breath germs to keep your mouth at its freshest.
- Stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day, limit caffeinated and alcoholic drinks, as well as sugary and acidic juices.
- To minimize morning breath, brush twice a day, floss regularly, and start your day with a mouthwash that kills bad breath germs.
How an electric toothbrush helps prevent bad breath
Bacteria caused by plaque can lead to bad breath. When it comes to keeping your mouth fresh and clean, Oral-B® Electric Toothbrushes remove 100% more plaque.
- More Movements - Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes deliver up to 48,800 movements per minute, while a regular manual toothbrush can only deliver 300 to 600 movements per minute. That means you get superior plaque removal2 with an electric toothbrush.
- Superior Technology - The unique Oral-B 3D Cleaning Action oscillates, rotates, and pulsates to break up and remove 100% more plaque than a regular manual toothbrush.
- Dentist-Inspired Brush Head - Inspired by dental tools, Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes have small, round brush heads that surround each tooth to get deep between teeth and remove more hard-to-reach plaque than a regular manual toothbrush.
- Two-Minute Timer - Dental professionals recommend brushing for two minutes, twice a day. Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes make it easy to brush properly with built-in two-minute timers. The in-handle timer pulses every 30 seconds, letting you know when it’s time to switch quadrants of the mouth. This helps ensure you get a complete clean every time you brush.
- Special Modes - Removing plaque is critical in the prevention of gum disease. Most Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes include a gum care or massage mode that stimulates gums. In addition, the Oral-B Black 7000 includes a tongue-cleaning mode, and the tongue is where most of the bacteria that causes bad breath lives.
- Oral-B App - The Oral-B PRO 5000, Black 7000, and White 7000 include Bluetooth functionality. Simply download the Oral-B app on your smartphone and connect with Bluetooth technology to get real-time feedback on your brushing habits, including reminders to floss and rinse after brushing. Not only will this help protect against bad breath, but it will also help improve your overall oral health. Learn more about the Oral-B App.
Oral-B Electric Toothbrushes take away the guesswork to ensure you get a thorough clean every day. Ready to make the switch? Find the right Oral-B Electric Toothbrush for you.