Why Oral-B Mouthwash?

What happens if you swallow mouthwash?

What happens if you swallow mouthwash article banner
Share

Mouthwashes are meant to be spit out, not swallowed. Find out what happens if you swallow mouthwash.

If you, or a child, should swallow a small amount of fluoride mouthwash (or any other type), there's no reason to panic, but do take care to avoid swallowing mouthwash again by taking some of these steps:

  • Supervise Children - Don't let children use mouthwash unsupervised. It has been recommended that children between the age of 6 and 12 need to be supervised when they use a mouthwash to prevent them from swallowing it. Be sure they spit the mouthwash. Many companies use child-resistant caps to help you out. Children younger than 6 years may have trouble controlling the swallowing reflex, so mouthwash is not recommended for young children.

  • Pay Attention - Don't let family members distract you when you're performing your oral care routine; distraction might make you accidentally swallow the mouthwash.

  • Check the label - If you swallow mouthwash check the label to see which of these potentially poisonous products the mouthwash contains: fluoride or ethanol. Severe symptoms of a mouthwash overdose related to these ingredients may include dizziness, drowsiness, trouble breathing, or, in serious cases, convulsions or a coma. In severe cases of swallowing mouthwash, head for the emergency room, and bring the mouthwash bottle with you if possible.