Bad breath

Bad breath

Bad breath has many causes. The main cause of bad breath is bacteria, that starts building-up on your teeth right after brushing. On top, if your mouth is extremely dry, there is not enough saliva to wash away excess food particles and bacteria, which can cause an unpleasant smell or bad breath if they build up on the teeth. Below you'll find links to articles on the causes and treatment of bad breath, as well as how to prevent bad breath.

BAD BREATH

Bad breath also known as halitosis, is a common oral care issue and can be temporary or chronic. It is easy to recognize as a specific taste in the mouth (metallic, sour). Although bad breath is usually temporary, it is estimated that about 30% deal with chronic bad breath. There are real causes of bad breath, and 90% of halitosis originates in the mouth while the remaining 10% has non-oral causes. There are also many myths about the potential causes of bad breath. Read on to find out more about the real causes of bad breath and how to prevent and eliminate it.

CAUSES FOR BAD BREATH

Causes for bad breath are not entirely known, but contrary to popular opinion, specific foods (e.g. garlic, onion) are not among real causes of bad breath. It is known, however, that bad breath can be caused by food residues subject to microbial action. A lot of the bacteria causing bad breath are accumulated on the tongue. It is interesting that there are more bacteria on the tongue than on any other part of the human body! These bacteria produce volatile substances (e.g. volatile sulphur compounds or VSC). That's why oral hygiene is so important and cleaning the tongue can reduce the risk of bad breath and prevent halitosis. There are many devices on the market that can be used to clean the tongue. Using your manual or electric toothbrush is an easy option after brushing your teeth. Your dental professional can recommend a tongue cleaning device that suits your individual oral care needs.

CHRONIC BAD BREATH

Chronic bad breath is a serious issue.Not only is chronic bad breath unpleasant in interpersonal contacts but it can also be a symptom of a serious oral care issue.If you notice that you can't cope with bad breath in spite of regular oral health routine, inform your dentist who will surely recommend an appropriate treatment against chronic bad breath. It is also known that chronic bad breath occurs in case of dried mouth as salivary secretion controlling the oral micro-flora is reduced. Saliva helps to clean and moisturise the mouth. Bad breath, known as "morning breath", usually occurs after sleeping. Bad breath can also be caused by some medication as well diseases such as chronic lung infections, kidney and liver disorders and diabetes.The main cause of bad breath, however, is improper oral routine, and we can effectively fight bad breath in daily hygiene. Above you will find some basic advice on how to prevent unpleasant breath.

polecane artykuły:

Featured articles

Bad breath, or halitosis, is mainly caused by the build-up of bacteria in the mouth, which produces a foul smell. Bad breath can be embarrassing, but fortunately once you have identified the causes, you can begin treatment.



Bad breath, or halitosis, is mainly caused by the build-up of bacteria in the mouth, which produces a foul smell. Bad breath can be embarrassing, but ...

Bad breath, or halitosis, is mainly caused by the build-up of bacteria in the mouth, which produces a foul smell. Bad breath can be embarrassing, but fortunately once you have identified the causes, you can begin treatment. ...

Read more

Foodies, go ahead and indulge. We've got your back.

Foodies, go ahead and ...

Foodies, go ahead and indulge. We've got your back.

Read more

If you suffer from halitosis, or chronic bad breath, you’re probably looking for ways to help manage the problem. If you're looking for a bad breath remedy, consider a tongue scraper.

If you suffer from halitosis, or chronic bad breath, you’re probably looking for ways to help manage the problem. If you're looking for a bad breath ...

If you suffer from halitosis, or chronic bad breath, you’re probably looking for ways to help manage the problem. If you're looking for a bad breath remedy, consider a tongue scraper.

Read more

Losing weight can be tough. And while there's no study or direct evidence that links dental health to successful dieting, there is anecdotal evidence to support the idea that brushing and flossing your teeth after eating can make you less tempted to snack.

Losing weight can be ...

Losing weight can be tough. And while there's no study or direct evidence that links dental health to successful dieting, there is anecdotal evidence ...

Read more
  • Recommended Bundle

    How to prevent teeth

    Defeat bad breath with specially selected products.

  • Download the Oral-B App to improve your brushing routines!

    Learn more

    Get a comprehensive clean with real-time feedback.